BISHOP OF STEPNEY.
Rt. Rev. COSMO GORDON LANG, D.D., son of Dr. John Marshall Lang (Principal of Aberdeen Univ.), of Chanonry Lodge, Old Aberdeen; b. Oct. 31st, 1864; ed. at Glasgow Univ., and at Balliol Coll., Oxford (B.A. 1885, M.A. 1888, Hon. D.D. 1901); was Curate of Leeds 1890-93, Examining Chap. to Bishop of Lichfield 1893-5, Fellow and Dean of Divinity of Magdalen Coll., Oxford 1893-6, and V. of St. Mary, Oxford, 1894-6, Examining Chap. to Bishop of Oxford 1894-1901, V. of Portsea and Chap. to Kingston Prison 1896-1901, Hon. Chap. to H.M. Queen Victoria 1899-1901, and Canon and Treasurer of St. Paul's 1901-1903; is a Fellow of All Souls' Coll., Oxford; consecrated Bishop of Stepney (Suffragan for Diocese for East and North-East London) 1901.
BISHOP OF SWANSEA.
Rt. Rev. JOHN LLOYD, D.D., son of Mr. William Lloyd, of Newport, Pembroke, shire ; b. 1847 ; ed. at Sidney Sussex Coll., Camb. (B.A. 1876, M.A. 1888, D.D. 1891) ; appointed V. of St. Peter's, Carmarthen, 1889, Canon Residentiary of St. David's 1890, V. of Jeffreston and Reynalton 1900, and V. of Lampeter 1903; consecrated Bishop of Swansea (Suffragan for Diocese of St. David's) 1890: m, 1883.
BISHOP OF THETFORD.
Rt. Rev. JOHN PHILLIPS ALCOT BOWERS, D. D., son of John Bowers, Esq., of Glenluie, The Avenue, Southampton; b. 1854; ed. at Magdalen Coll. Sch., and at St. John's Coll., Camb. (B.A. 1876, M.A. 1880, D.D. 1903); was Curate of Coggeshal1, Essex 1877-9, of St. Giles, Cambridge 1879-80, and of St. Mary, Radcliffe 1880-82, Minor Canon of Gloucester 1882-5, Librarian 1885, Chap. to Gloucester Infirmary 1883-7, Examining and Domestic Chap. to Bishop of Gloucester 1882-1902, Senior Missioner of Diocese of Gloucester 1885-1902, and Canon of Gloucester 1890-1902; appointed Archdeacon of Gloucester and V. of Sandhurst, Gloucester 1902, Archdeacon of Lynn, R. of N. Creake, and Bishop of Thetford (Suffragan for Diocese of Norfolk) 1903: m. 1879, Mary Louisa, el. dau. of J. Beaumont, Esq., solicitor, of The Lawn, Coggeshall, Essex, and 33, Chancery Lane, W.C.
Archbishops and Bishops of the Church of Ireland.
The Archbishops and the Bishops of Ireland have not seats in the House of Lords; but each Irish Bishop consecrated prior to the Disestablishment Act of 1868, is entitled to be styled "Lord Bishop.
ARMAGH, LORD ARCHBISHOP OF.
Most Rev. WILLIAM ALEXANDER, D.D., D.C.L., LL.D., son of the Rev. Robert Alexander, Preb. of Derry; b. April 13th, 1824; ed. at Exeter and Brasenose Colls., Oxford (B.A. 1850, M.A. 1857, D. D. 1867, Hon. D.C.L. 1876, Hon. LL.D., Dublin, 1892) ; was incumbent of Termonamongan, Fahan, Camus-juxta-Mourne, Diocese of Derry, and Dean of Emly, 1865; consecrated 46th Bishop of Derry and 55th Bishop of Raphoe 1867, and elected Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland 1896 : m, 1850, Cecil Frances, who d. 1895, dau. of Major John Humphreys, J.P., of Miltown House, Strabane.
CASHEL, EMLY, WATERFORD and LISMORE, BISHOP OF.
Rt. Rev. HENRY STEWART O'HARA, D.D., son of the Rev. James O'Hara, of O'Harabrook, co. Antrim, and The Castle, Port Stewart, co. Londonderry; b. Sept. 6th, 1843 ; ed. at Leicester, and at Trin. Coll., Dublin (B.A. 1866, M.A. 1868, B.D. and D.D. 1900) ; appointed R. of Coleraine 1869, Chancellor of Connor Cathedral 1884, Canon of St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin 1897, and Dean of Belfast 1899; consecrated 52nd Bishop of Cashel, Emly, Waterford, and Lismore 1900: m; 1872, Hatton, youngest dau. of the late Thomas Scott, Esq., D.L., of Willsboro', Londonderry.